This three-day course focuses on solutions for deploying Mac's, keep them up to date using Lion Server and a selection of most popular Deployment tools
This course is a combination of lectures and hands-on cases. Students get hands-on experience in using tools such as Apple Remote Desktop, Disk Utility, System Image Utility, InstaDMG, PackageMaker, DeployStudio Server and Munki and discuss the pros and cons of each for different deployment situations.
This course is delivered in cooperation with LAI and is therefore held in english, unless otherwise noted. LAI describes themselves like this:
As Accredited Training Center for HP, Apple and Netgear we organize since 1987 courses for Channel Partners, Major accounts, Consultants and IT professionals. With training programmes in seven countries, LAI is one of the foremost and largest Apple and Netgear Authorized Training Centers in Europe.
Our courses are intensive and geared to the actual practice of the participants. The courses are taught by specialists, who use thorough and up-to-date teaching materials. No more than 12 participants are enrolled in each course, so that they can receive maximum benefits from it.
LAI only works with experienced, certified instructors who know how to explain difficult subjects with ease and humour. Students appreciate the LAI approach and enjoy coming to our modern, well-equipped training facilities.
Deployment lifecycle Planning
- postimaging tasks
Overview of tools
Installation and packages
- Creating packages to deploy files, applications and scripts
- Installation using the Installer GUI and cli version
- Automating installations
- Third-party installation tools
- Troubleshooting installations
System deployment techniques
- Creating a cloned system image
- Creating a modular system image using InstaDMG
- Deploying system images
- Command line tools: hdiutil, asr
- Third-party system image creation tools
- Deploying Boot Camp
NetBoot and DeployStudio Server
- Creating NetBoot and NetInstall images with System Image Utility
- Configuring the NetBoot service
- Setup a DeployStudio Server
- DeployStudio Workflows
- DeployStudio automation
Client configuration techniques
- Preparing and customising the model Mac before imaging
- Command line commands to configure a client
- Using launchd for post-install configuration
- Running postinstall scripts using DeployStudio
- Third-party postimaging configuration tools
- Creating your scripts for periodic maintenance
- Apple Software Update Server
- Other update tools: Munki, and others
- Periodic DeployStudio updates,
- Using Apple Remote Desktop for maintenance
- Experience with OS X and OS X Server in a network environment
- Experience using the command-line interface with OS X
- This class is for OS X System Administrators who need to know how to streamline the process of installing and configuring a large number of computers running Mac OS X.
- This training is the successor to both Deployment 10.6 (AP_SL302) and DeployStudio (DEPSTU).